Thursday 27 March 2014

Disappointing Products

Hey Guys,

I absolutely love hearing about what products people love and think are amazing. But I also equally love finding out what products people think are pretty shit useless. 

Since my last post...

  • The lovely sunny weather has gone back to be typical British weather, i.e. it's raining.
  • I got a new job which i start tomorrow :)



 Nobody likes buying things that turn out to be crap, especially when you've heard so many good things about them from others.

These are just my opinions on how I found these products, you may really enjoy these products, however they didn't really work for me as well as I'd have liked.



Why Do You Have To Be So Freaking Pretty




L-R: Mint Green; SNP1 White; Chameleon Pink; Blueberry Ice Cream; GNP Greenberry; Nail Effects 316; Nail Effects 315; TNP2 Station Road; GNP Passionfruit; Strawberry Ice Cream; Dusky Mauve.
Prices range from £2.99 to £4.99 depending on finish.

I am such a sucker for Barry M nail paints. The colours are so pretty and there is literally every colour and finish you could possibly want, which is probably why I continue to buy them even though I hate them!

I hear so many people rave about these, especially about the staying power. Maybe I have weird nails, but I cannot get these to last more than a day or two without chipping pretty badly, with or without a base coat and top coat. It's so irritating that they are so pretty for about 8 hours and then there is chunks missing. 


Why Do Your Lips Look Like That?



Maybelline Superstay 24hr Dual Ended Lip Color. I bought these on a recommendation from a friend, however I haven't seen much online talk about them.


I have the colours Red Passion and Creme Caramel, and as you can see from the swatches, they have good pigmentation. 

My issue with these is the texture. First you apply the coloured end, which is quite sticky and thick. Then once it has dried (which seems to take years!) you top it with the lip balm style end. This removes most of the sticky thick feeling...for about 10 minutes. Then the colour seems to ball up on my lips, and it is quite visible and it is not a good look. The only way to make these last all day without the horrid sticky lumps is to reapply the lip balm end every 5 minutes, which sort of defeats the purpose of a long lasting lip product. At £8.99 a pop I definitely regret buying two.


Waxy Lips...Sexy?



I won't talk too much about this Balmi lip balm, as I recently discussed why I dislike it in my Lip Balm or Lip Bum post. Basically from the smell to the texture, there is nothing i enjoy about this product. 











Over Hyped Foundation



The Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation is probably the most talked about 'drugstore' foundation on the internet. So when my trusty Revlon Colourstay ran out I just had to give this a try. Now, I don't dislike this foundation by any means, it just doesn't seem worth the hype. It's nice on the skin and I would say it has light to medium coverage, I don't particularly notice any brightening qualities or anti-fatigue effects. 

So while I do like this foundation, it's nowhere near as good as I was expecting and I personally don't think it deserves all the hype it receives.

This retails for £8.99







It's Been a Month, and All We've Done is Make Regina's Face Smell Like a Foot



This is the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm, and at £23, is the priciest product on my list. This claims to have INSANE benefits, such as anti-aging, inhibiting DNA damage (?) and instantly evening out skin tone. It also claims to be a universal shade. 

A lot of the claims are supposed to happen over time, so you wont look instantly younger when you first apply it. And I can't vouch for any of the claims because I didn't use the product for long enough.

The first thing I noticed is that this has a pretty strong peppermint scent, which is not something I want on my face, and reminds me of Mean Girls way too much. Also a tingly peppermint is not something I enjoy near my eyes, so the product was sort of off putting from the start.

I also do not find the shade to be universally flattering. I assume I am not the only one as Urban Decay have recently reformulated this product with a light, medium and dark colour, but I believe these are currently only available in the States. I'm not super pale, but I am in no way tanned (I'm between an NW15 and NW20 at MAC) and I found this 'universal shade' way too dark with a fairly orange undertone, and even when i apply the tiniest amount, I feel like I belong in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

If you like the sound of the claims this makes, and a pepperminty face doesn't really bother you, then I would recommend trying this out in store to see if the colour is a good match.



Mermaid Skin?




It upsets me to have to include a Lush product here, as I love everything they make so much...accept this. 
Aqua Marina is one of their Fresh Facial Cleansers (just like the Let The Good Times Roll from my shower favourites post) and it is full of natural, good for your skin ingredients such as Nori Seaweed, Calamine powder and Irish Moss Gel. It is supposed to calm and nourish skin.

I have no idea if this stuff works or not, because it smells so bad!! Apparently it was inspired by Mermaids. Now i'm not sure what sort of horrid Harry Potter Selkies inspired this, but I don't 'imagine I'm a mermaid for a moment' when I use this. The smell has a bit of chamomile, some seaweed and then an overpowering something horrid that I can't even begin to describe, with a hint of something a little fishy, and it's making me feel sick just sniffing it now, let alone smearing it all over my face.

The few times I have used this, and tried to deal with the smell, my skin has felt soft afterwards. But this would need to do some super miraculous things to my skin for me to be able to cope with the smell, and even then I'm not too sure.

I'm sure this is a lovely cleanser, just like all the other Lush ones, I just wish it didn't have such an offensive smell.

This cleanser retails for £6.35 for 100g.



Have you had better luck with any of these products? What products have you been disappointed by?


BYEEEEE xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment